Scrappy String Corduroy Baby Quilt

Scrappy String Corduroy Baby Quilt
My Corduroy Baby Quilt

Thursday, August 23, 2018

More from Pond Hollow Quilts

I am currently working on two special quilts. One is a wedding signature quilt (used as the guest register) and the other is my daughter’s graduation quilt. Sigh. The graduation quilt should be finished by this weekend but it looks like that’s not going to happen. If I had just made a quilt using a pattern, I would be finished. But no, I had to make it so unique and incorporate lots of different special fabrics (most of which I didn’t want to cut too small because it would lose the animals depicted on the fabrics.....it has an animal theme). So this is what is on my design wall right now:





Lol. Looks like I did cut those fabrics pretty small after all! Those of you who are familiar with Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran probably notice their influence on this design. I will add a few rows of black/white fabric to give some visual relief from all the color and pattern. Here is a glimpse of some of the fabrics:


If I had it to do over again, I would choose a pattern, maybe  Bonnie Hunter’s Scrappy Mountain Majesties or something else with a repeating block (but still using scrappy fabrics). When you use a pattern, most of the time-consuming decision making has been done for you......never underestimate how much work is involved with figuring out block/piece sizes to get everything to fit together. At this point, I am keeping Gwen’s advice in mind: if it’s too long, cut it off......if it’s too short, add something. 


1 comment:

  1. Goodness!!! Breathe!! Apparently you didn't read the fine print, "No quilt until it is aged properly."

    If you are adamant about points matching, I read a hint not long ago to baste 4-5 stitches at each intersection that MUST match, then stitch the entire seam. You will have a lot in your son's project, or you could just shrug and keep on keepin' on.

    I usually don't do anything other than finger press a project as I'm going along and then seam allowances can be flipped if they are oriented incorrectly. And, yes, I am working on a project with some points that need to match and I had to do some ripping and restitching. It happens.

    Your corduroy project brings back memories. I wonder if you can even buy it any more as the big box stores have decided what we will have to work with and what we won't. I made my own clothes for years before taking up quilting. Now I have a quilter's physique. SIGH...

    ReplyDelete